How to Choose Blankets
The blankets, the universal symbol for the collective relaxation, sleep, rest and hospitality. Stay under the covers means to be warm, protected, calm, accepted. The blankets of a bed are important to our idea of when we want to go back home after work or study, and for the quality of rest and sleep.
The main function of the blankets is known to everyone and is inherent in the word cover. Cover does not mean in this case to hide, but to protect. Protect from cold and from the outside world. The blankets are our refuge ” ideal “, make the bed the place to really pull the plug from the problems and duties. The blankets must not only protect you from the cold, but also give pleasure to touch and sleep. The blankets are then not only those that are part of the bed linen, but they are also the ones that we carry around the house, on the couch or chair, to give us warmth and comfort in moments of relaxation. Then choose the blankets right for us and for all the inhabitants of our house is a very important task for the daily well-being.
The blankets, the type that lends its name to the whole class, have very ancient origins, as you can imagine. Arising from the skins of animals that formerly helped the people to shelter from the cold, the blankets are pieces of cloth of a certain size, padded more or less depending on the seasons, or simply made with materials more or less hot and heavy. The blankets are the element that can be slipped into the bed, between the top sheet and bedspread, stops and stapled under the mattress to completely wrap the sleeping person. It goes without saying that the blankets must have a dimension greater than the mattress itself.
For the covers, an element that can also be neglected at the expense of the good features of comfort, is the aesthetic: the covers remain under the bedspread, and we only see when we go to sleep. This does not mean that there are no blankets with designs and patterns really pleasing to the eye. But the elements that should be considered more in a blanket are:
- Size – Precisely adapted to the bed where we are buying.
- Any padding
- Degree of heat that comes with it – Whereas the bed can also accommodate more blankets over one another, summing up the various degrees of heat (in the case of more blankets but make the bed and keep it clean becomes more complicated, because the blankets by their nature attract a lot of dust).
- Feeling to the touch. (Which will also be evident if the top sheet remains the same between the blanket and the body).
Dimensions of the blankets
As mentioned, blankets, duvets and quilts must be larger than the mattress for which they are purchased, this because they have to wrap the person during sleep, protecting it as much as possible also by strange movements of which you may not notice it while sleeping and with which could be exposed to the cold air and for that the blankets and duvets are stapled or under the mattress or fall down the sides of the mattress, almost to touch the ground. The three standard sizes of mattresses are:
- Single – Width from 90 cm to a meter, and length (for adults) from 190 cm to 2 meters).
- A one and a half – Width from 120 to 140 cm, and 190 cm in length by 2 meters.
- A double bed – Width from 160 to 180 cm, and 190 cm in length by 2 meters.
Useful tips for buying blankets
In summary, the factors to consider purchasing a blanket (a blanket or a duvet or quilt) are:
- Material, preferable natural
- Padding, preferred equally natural
- Degree of heat, which is indicated on the label or measurable by testing the heaviness of the material with your hands
- Type of wash
- Type of drying. kind of ironing
- Tactile sensation that derives from the blanket