House Colors – How to selection and color therapy
The colors are important events in the light of our eyes and are capable of transmitting visual sensations, emotions, psychological, that can go to also affect the physical well-being, as well as trigger specific reactions of the organism and sometimes beneficial.
These are the principles behind the so-called color therapy. A discipline aimed to heal the body and mind with the reactions caused by the colors, which has a historical basis but also scientific, which is successfully applied to architecture and interior design.
The color in the home has become in recent years an important role; It has become almost a piece of furniture and often influences the choice of architects and owners, also the functionality of the environments. Let’s see what might be the more color choices right in our home.
Table of Contents
Because color affects moods?
The wisdom passed down through the centuries by ancient civilizations, is now a scientifically proven, accredited by knowledge now solid and valid by countless experiments. In other words, psychological well-being and color are connected by a scientifically proven process: our skin is sensitive to light and, as you can filter the sun’s rays, it is also able to filter out the different radiations emitted by different colors; these radiations which are perceived by the body react by turning them into chemical energy and then modifying certain functions.
This explains why some colors have an energizing effect, more relaxed, and still others that not only poison our mind it either positively or negatively affected, but also that our body reacts accordingly, allowing you to feel more or less in the contact form with a certain color.
Colour therapy in the strict sense it is the discipline that aims to cure diseases with the colors that stimulate the production of certain parts of the body more or less beneficial in certain situations. In a broad sense, color therapy is applied just as well to other fields, such as those that relate to the environment of a home, because the beneficial effects of color can positively affect the lives of every day.
Why are the colors in the house?
It important to choose colors that characterize the rooms of a house. In our homes, every place has its own function, and each person lives that function in a different way: there’s who love to cook and then stand in the kitchen and who is not; is for those who like to study and who is not; It is for those who like to sleep and who is not; and so on. The colors to be associated with each function, and then to any environment, are to be chosen according to specific criteria that may vary from one person to another: choose the wrong color may affect our mood in a given environment forever.
Not to mention that the shades of each color may return optical and visual effects that modify the objective perception of reality: for example, the light tones give an effect of magnitude, over that of brightness, and visually widen spaces also small, so that seem wider.
In these choices must then take into account that certain colors to enhance the concentration, more energy and desire to do harm, while others relax and allow a good sleep without interfering, and others have even affected our perception of odors.
The items to be considered are :
- To each function its color, but also.
- Each person its color, because everyone has different tastes and reactions.
The end result should be a mixture of these two elements. In addition, it is also necessary to take into account that there are no unique colors: each color has many hues and shades that can be used individually or all together; Finally, it is said that we must use only one color: often the contrasts between colors also distinctly different, create visual effects and very special and psychic benefits.
How to color good home environments
You can paint a room in your home in several ways :
- The walls are definitely the most distinctive feature of a room, because extensive and important color the walls and / or ceiling, create visual effects on a large scale, allowing living in a space having a Glance general transformed; then both the coatings or tile panels, both paint and wallpaper can contribute to the intended purpose.
- Even the tone of the floor has great importance; with the floor, one must take into account also the great functionality. That is, among other things the ease of cleaning (then a darker color might help, since it is less dirty).
- The walls are not the only element that can affect environment thanks to its colors; We can change an environment with neutral walls with colorful decor or color spots created by large paintings, sticker wall stickers, posters.
- Again, we can paint an environment varying fabrics: curtains, carpets, sofa covers and chairs, tablecloths, towels, pillows. These elements are easily interchangeable and can frequently change according to our moods, without spending too much money.
- At last we can create significant atmospheres using lamps characterized by soft colored lights in different shades.
Elements to consider in choosing the colors of the house
To choose the most suitable colors in a certain situation, you should consider many factors :
- Spatial depth of an environment, then its size.
- Distribution of natural light during the day and evening artificial in that environment, considering the size and position of any windows, as well as their exposure.
- Materials that will be part of that environment.
- Type of function, which would cover that environment (or even one portion of the environment).
- Sensitivity and taste of the person who will spend more time in that environment.
- The form of an environment and all the features that can interrupt a regular basis; when the rooms do not have wall’s parallelepiped perfectly smooth and regular, the irregularity can be exploited with the right color to create contrasts and effects: columns, pilasters, niches, alcoves, curves, etc….
Visual effect of colors
In general, you can keep in mind some basic principles for choosing colors and shades to suit certain situations :
- Light colors visually expand the space perception.
- The dark colors visually shrink the perception of space.
- A light next to a dark color appears lighter than it really is.
- A dark color next to a light color looks darker than it really.
- The soft colors, the so-called pastel, providing a feeling of freshness.
- The bright colors, intense, strong, large environments can give sensations overwhelming.
- Light colors help to brighten the rooms, especially the white of course.
- The very high ceiling of a room, if painted dark, it helps to visually bring it closer to the rest of the room.
- In small spaces used the same color in different shades can help provide continuity and amplitude to the environment.
- The contrasts between different colors can create pleasing visual effects.
In each room its color
In general, in every room of the house, you can combine colors, which are considered to functions that take place there. It clear then that every individual reacts differently in front of a color, as mentioned above, then the following tips are not universal rules, but only suggestions. In the hall would be shown colors with shades not too dark and warm, that give the feeling that the host must transmit this environment.
- In the kitchen are suitable warm colors, energizing, reminiscent of the sun and fire, such as red, orange, yellow, brown, but also reminiscent of the earth or the green that evokes nature. Even in the white kitchen is effective because it allows you to give prominence to the food and to evaluate well the freshness.
- In the small room, the warm colors are best in deep hues and bright: stimulating growth, good humor and creativity.
- In the bedroom, we recommend cooler colors, but relaxing, like blue or green or lilac / purple, combining sleep. Warm colors are stimulating and energizing, so do not tempt you to sleep.
- In the dining room are great, yellow and orange, which stimulate appetite and support liver functions, while green gives feeling of satiety before you have eaten.
- In the living room are preferred the warm colors that stimulate conversation, while cool colors like blue and sadden to make introverts.
- In the study would be the optimal combination of yellow and green, which stimulate your concentration and give you energy.
- In the North-facing, rooms are again recommended warm colors, because in contrast, the coldness of the light where the sun never comes.